“好的建筑像一棵树 – 无论内在外在都符合自然结构, 有益于生态平衡.” - 日本建筑大师伊东丰雄
Translation: Good architecture is like a tree – there is coherence in its interior and exterior structures, and over time there is ecological balance in its growth. – Toyo Ito (renowned Japanese architect)
We can’t change the physical structure of the building; but we can do something about our practices. That is why we have adopted ‘green’ practices – moving the ‘tree’ into the lodge.
The tree is also our canopy – and yours – it is a place where friendships can be made and renewed, and stories can be shared. By the time we depart on to our next journey, we are wiser, warmer, and share the common revelation that we are all similar in more ways than we think.
As backpackers, we love to see the world, feel the pulse of nature and the heartbeat of civilisation all at the same time. However, this same world is also battling air and water pollution, depleting natural resources and losing living habitats (for both animals and humans).
Tree in Lodge seeks to reduce the impact to our environment while not sacrificing your comfort and service. We strive to provide a green, warm, comfortable, safe, clean and affordable environment for backpackers and budget travellers. We are in this together.
what makes us green?
Here are some of our green practices:
- We use non-toxic cleaning products
- You won’t find any styrofoam and plastic cups
- Environmentally friendly cleaning detergent is used
- The hostel is powered by energy efficient appliances
- We provide recycling receptacles to dispose of paper, plastic, aluminium, and glass
- We recycle energy saving light bulbs and toner and ink cartridges and some electronic equipment through proper channels
- We use low-flow water restrictive devices for our faucets in toilets and kitchen
- We provide and encourage the use of filtered water instead of bottled water
- We also have a ‘pre-loved book collection centre’ (Yes - you can exchange your used books with any related books from our collection!)
- We use ‘pre-loved’ furniture and appliances from community organisations
- We provide details to local nature destinationsand natural food stores in the area.